Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Study of Jade


"Study of Jade" is the first of two paintings of Jade that I am working on. This little piece is 10"x10", oil on canvas.
A study, to me, is just that. I study the face of the subject and create an intimate portrait of the individual. I have painted myself and friends in this manner before but will have no hesitation tin approaching people in Newfoundland to pose quickly for a little study. I want to paint weather-beaten faces as well as unblemished babies' skin as well.

What never fails to amaze me is how duplicitous paint can be. When you lay down a swatch of pigment and are satisfied with its value and colour, you might return 3 days later when it has had time to dry a bit and it looks different...it looks incorrect. Whether this is due to the paint drying or simple observational error is one that I struggle with and must go and reassess the area in question and reapply the colour. I should not gripe because that is the nature of what I do...but it is vexing!

This painting took about 3 painting sessions of 5 hours each I would say. The wonderful thing about studies is that they are a way of getting to know the subject. I enjoy studying the planes of their faces and examining the nuances that typical, casual observation might miss.It's like a little window into the person and I cherish these little studies as much, if not more, than larger scale pieces.

"Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."
~G. K. Chesterton

No comments: